Buying your first home is probably one of the biggest investments you have ever made to date. It is always advisable to be unemotional, cautious and clever when making your decision. Below is a list of things to keep in mind when choosing your ideal property.
- Make a list of all the features you find essential and cannot do without.
- List your 10 most important factors when buying your property.
- Location in very important, so make sure you know enough about the area. If possible, take a drive through the neighbourhood and have a look at the surrounding properties and note their condition.
- Decide how much space you need. Also keep in mind the space required if you would like to expand in future.
- Take a look at detail. A newly improved kitchen could save you lots of rands on improving costs.
- Make notes about each property that you are interested in and sit calmly and compare them before you make your final decision.
- Take into account the age of the property, as old buildings tend to need repairs and maintenance, but usually have an established garden and are usually larger. Newer properties need less maintenance, but are usually smaller and have little or no garden which will also cost at lot to obtain.
One more thing, do not let the estate agent talk you into buying property that you truly cannot afford. Only you know how much you can really afford each month, and keep in mind things such as water, electricity and taxes.